Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Garrison Wedding

Sorry it's been almost a month since my last post. It's been a busy month or at least it seems like it.

Anyone who's been reading this knows that I took the train out to Colorado at the end of July for Sam & Mike's wedding. I left Omaha on Tuesday, July 22. My train was supposed to leave at 10:40pm that night. It was running late and I was expecting that. My friends told me that it's always late when they take it. It rolled into Omaha about 11:05pm. We (as in me and the passengers in Omaha) boarded the train shortly after that and finally rolled out of Omaha at 11:30pm. The train was pretty crowded when it got to Omaha. The guy telling people where to sit (not sure what his title is) said there were only 9 seats left on the train. Amtrak has been extra busy since the high price of gas. I found my seat (there are two seats together and I had to share b/c it was so full), put my stuff away and made myself comfortable. I managed to stay awake for a bit, but eventually fell asleep. It was a pretty rough ride going out. My seat was on the end of the car. That meant you felt all the jerking even more and heard all the clanking where the cars are connected. People had to go through our car to get to the dining car to go eat breakfast. So when you're trying to sleep, they are in and out and the doors are opening and closing. This being my first time on the train, I didn't really know what to expect. It took a bit longer getting to Denver that it was supposed to. I was supposed to get in at 7am I believe, but didn't get to Union Station until 8:30am. Once we were there, it didn't take long to get luggage. Then Sam picked me up at 8:50am and it was off to have some fun. The rest of the week was spent preparing things for the wedding and just hanging out. There wasn't enough time to do any touristy things. That just means I have to go back. Here's what you've been waiting for....pictures:


The Garrison's:Dajana, Sam & Mike


Grace U Reunion: me, Sam & Sara (Hackett) Manning

me & Theo (Sara's son)

Jarod, Dajana & Autumn
Sarah, me, Sam, Vanessa, Dajana & Autumn

I was there til Monday night and managed to keep myself occupied until then. My train was almost 2 hours late getting into Denver. We finally left for Omaha at 10:00pm. This time I had a seat in the middle of the car and I had both seats to myself. The Garrison's and I went to Target on Monday afternoon and purchased a book to read on the train. So I read for probably two hour before turning out the light and settling in for the night. Let me just say that it was a totally different experience heading home. We arrived in Omaha about 8:30am and Angie picked me up shortly after. All in all, it was a really good trip. I'd definitely take the train again even though it was so late every time. It was definitely cheaper than driving. Thanks again to Sam & Mike for toting me around. And to Jim and Sandy (Sam's parent's) for letting Jarod (Sam's brother), Autumn (Jarod's fiance), Sarah and I take over their car for the weekend. We were all staying at different people's houses and didn't have our own cars. Can't wait for my next trip to COLORADO. Oh yeah, never really got to see the mountains except from a far. Little bit of a disappointment, but the trip wasn't about me. It was about spending time with friends. Just a quick note, I was honored to attend the guestbook at the wedding, light the candles for the ceremony and attend the guestbook/gift table at the reception. Thanks for asking me to be apart of your special day!

No comments: